About us ~
Bikes ~
 Videos ~ Signs ~ SearchLinks

Sussex Scrapbook ~ Wildlife walks throughout the year
Green Man
24th November 2018 - 4th January 2019

40 days in the Nepal Himalaya.
Walk in from Shivalaya - Three Passes Trek - Everest Base Camp - Gokyo Valley - Walk out to Paphlu.    About 200 miles

See also - Himalaya preparation diary and Himalayan Expedition 2018

Three weeks later and my legs were still recovering from this mammoth expedition.  Two months later and my mind is still in the mountains. From beginning to end the whole trek was incredible. I spent most days walking almost entirely alone, in glorious weather and the Nepalese people were kind, generous and a true inspiration in so many ways. The culture is so exotic and strange that you are either constantly learning something new or standing with your mouth open, gawping at something you've never seen before.

Despite being crowded and terribly polluted, Kathmandu has a wonderful charm and I fell completely in love with it. The people are so good-natured and polite, they help each other out and there is a real community spirit. Nowhere is this more evident than on the roads. Everyone pulls out in front of everyone else, the traffic all meets head on at intersections, no one uses indicators or hand signals, everyone is on the phone and people travel at night with no lights on. Even so there is no road rage or even descriptive hand signals. Everything just keeps rolling along somehow, through the throng of road users which includes: cows, pedestrians, packs of dogs, rickshaws, trucks, pushbikes and millions of small motorbikes. Everyone in Kathmandu has a motorbike and they travel everywhere - footpaths, parks, alleyways, courtyards... if a bike can get down there, then there will be bikes there. They only very slightly follow any type of Highway Code or law, which makes tearing around the city at 40mph about as exciting and dangerous as racing at the Isle of Man TT.

My trek started with an 8 day walk from Shivalaya to Namche Bazaar and every part of it was beautiful with wildlife everywhere, fruit orchards, large valleys, suspension bridges, terraced hills and welcoming places to stay in small villages. There are a lot of mule trains running back and forth supplying all of the villages and moving things up to Namche and they are a bit smelly. The trail is difficult and is either going straight up or straight down, it is mostly over rock and it is completely covered in mule poo. Roads (mud tracks) are being built to supply the villages but this does not ruin the walk and you do not have to walk very far on the roads.

The higher places after Namche, are extremely cold (I went in winter and the nights are bitterly cold) and you need to be prepared with proper clothing and a really good sleeping bag. A plan for acclimatising to the altitude is essential and as of 2019 you will need about 20 a day to live up there (in the middle hills things are a bit cheaper and in Kathmandu food and accommodation are very cheap). All of the teahouses dish up huge plates of food and you will need to eat all of it to get enough calories for the next day's walk. Purifying your own water is the best way to go as it saves money and the environment. I used a Steripen and found it worked perfectly for the whole 6 weeks.

I acclimatised by taking a rest at Namche and another at Dengboche and by climbing part of the way up Nangkart Shang and then Chhukhung Ri.  Both climbs went well but every move you make is such hard work at those altitudes. The mountains and the mountain trails are literally breath-taking - you need to learn to go at Himalaya speed (very slowly) and breathe faster (usually through a buff) to cope with the altitude and the freezing cold, dry air. Failure to do so leads to gasping and giddiness! I trained very hard to do this trek and was very glad that I did as it made things far easier, as did a pack that weighed about 8kg.

The first pass, the Kongma la is an incredible days trek. The climb itself is long, hard and difficult but the views from the top are the ultimate. You have to get through a dangerous scree slope to descend and then you have the Khumbu Glacier to get over. It took all of my experience to manage it all before the clouds came down and the terrible cold set in.

The next stage was to travel north to climb Kala Pattar and visit Everest base Camp (EBC). This section is usually crowded with people but during the winter it is very quiet and I walked alone for most of the day.

Everyone asks me the same question; would I do it again? My answer is always the same - 'In a heartbeat!'

My only companion and scout mascot 'Shackleton' became a bit of a favourite among the hundreds of people who followed our journey on WhatsApp. He came from a Teddy Tombola at Pulborough church, West Sussex a couple of weeks before the expedition.

   Nepal intro film I made for my Scout presentations.

Write up on Crawley District Scout Website

Video of my trek over the Kongma La

My first view of the Himalaya - from the plane.

I arrived early evening at the Thamel district of Kathmandu - disorientated, tired and confused.


A Musk Deer on the trail just staring at me.

There are plenty of high suspension bridges to cross.

The Sherpa burn Juniper every morning as part of their Buddhist rituals.

Namche Bazaar - the capital of the Khumbu region.

Time to rest up and clean up.

My teahouse in Namche. I was the only guest!

Shackleton meditating on Nangkart Shang near Chhukhung.

From up on Chhukhung Ri looking out over 3 glaciers.

After a difficult climb I gain the Kongma La and have someone to share my lunch with.

At the Kongma La looking down to the Khumbu glacier with the village of Lobuche beyond.

The moraine of the Khumbu Glacier. It's much bigger than it looks and I was already worn out by the time I got to it.

On the glacier and I needed all my experience to get through here safely, as the path was gone!

I made it to Lobuche with very little energy left. I didn't know it but I was coming down with a cold.

Everest from Kala Pattar. If you get a tear in your eye it's likely to freeze.

Shackleton and me at 5,550m (18,200 ft), both wearing our 1st Crawley scarves.
Although it is very hard work trekking at such altitudes you tend to forget about the hardship every time you stop and look at the views.

Everest Base Camp at the foot of the Khumbu Icefall.
I had always wanted to see the icefall and even at a distance it is very impressive. An ambition achieved!

Fresh snowfall at Dzongla stopped me from crossing the perilous Chola Pass so I needed to drop 1.5km vertically down to Pheriche
and then back up the Gokyo valley to Gokyo to continue on my route.

Heading back down to Pheriche on my 4-day detour to Gokyo.

After a day's hike through the snow, ice and white-outs, myself and two other escapees from Dzongla were happy to be safe and drinking tea.

The village of Gokyo with Cho Oyu behind it. Back on my planned route again.

The views from Gokyo Ri are mind-blowing.
You can see the village of Gokyo between the frozen lake and the Ngzumba Glacier.

After about a month of trekking and looking rather weather-beaten.

Leaving Gokyo and heading up to the Renjo La, the last pass.

It's up there somewhere!

Made it! It's all downhill back to Namche now.

After walking back from Namche to Paphlu (3 days) I took a 12 hour jeep ride back to Kathmandu.

The Great Stupa at Boudah, near Kathmandu.

The Monkey Temple at dusk.

The Buddha in 'earth witness' pose.

Deekshya and Subigya who took such special care of me in Kathmandu.
Love to you, my friends. XX


I shall add some more pictures so check back soon.

Take the time to read the countryside code for yourself and please stick to it at all times.